Thursday, March 15, 2007

Week 7 - Recap and Video Blog

On we move into week 7 of the semester, and further and further we move into Web 2.0 technologies. This past week in class we got some great demonstrations from John, Kate, and Leo on some really helpful and fun tools.

Kate got us started with an overview of Second Life. Now for years we've been talking about virtual reality (or virtual insanity as Jamiroquai would say.) But I truly have never seen anything that approached virtual reality until I got my first taste of Second Life. It truly does present an alternative reality that provides incredible capabilitites.

Leo's presentation on Tagging was really well done. Not only did he provide an excellent overview of what tagging is, but showed a great range of examples of how it can be applied both on your local machine and on the great wide web. I certainly learned a lot of new organizational techniques, and will continue to apply tagging to many of my technical endeavors.

John presented video blogging, and in addition to describing what it is and how it's done, he also revealed a lot of information on different blogging sites, and specifically the positives and negatives of various formats, including 3rd party hosting, streaming, or downloading. It gave me the confidence to create my own video blog this week on Daniel Pink's chapter on Empathy, from his book "A Whole New Mind."

Enjoy my video blog below...






No comments: